What follows is a SPOILER-heavy post about Lost, so if you haven’t seen all the episodes up through October 20th, you might not want to read this.
J.J. Abrams does good TV, at least at first. I was a big Alias fan back in the day when it didn’t suck. I loved all the Rambaldi artifact stuff, but once they phased that out in Season 2 in search of better ratings (the Dumbening, if you will), I quickly lost interest. I hope the same thing doesn’t happen to Lost, but it’s getting good ratings and is maybe the one show that has people excited this Fall.
Anyhow, Lost continues to kick my ass every week. Good dialogue, good characters, good story. And let’s face it, the island is one big wish-machine. Here’s a certainly non-exhaustive list:
- The big obvious one: Locke was paraplegic and wanted to go walkabout, commune with nature, etc. Now he can walk and runs off into the jungle whenever they get short on food or water. His life before was woefully incomplete, and he was searching for something bigger, “meaning”, or whatever. Now he’s the only person to have seen the giant monster thing and has become the group’s shaman, for lack of a better term.
- Kate was running from the law. She sure has a good hiding spot now, and like Sawyer pointed out in this last episode (“White Rabbit”), she’s become the law.
- Claire’s baby stopped moving for a good long time, then started again after she ate the raw sea animal. Was it dead? Maybe.
- Walt’s dog ran off into a jungle filled with warthogs, the giant monster thing and who knows what else, but he wanted his dog and it came back.
- Michael wants a relationship with the son he’s never known. I can’t remember exactly, but I think there’s an early line about how he thinks he just needs to spend some time with him to make things work out. He’s got it now.
- Jack went to Sydney to find his father. He found and lost him at the same time, then found him again in the form of a hallucination that can find water. There’s also a Hero’s journey aspect to his story, as the “You don’t have what it takes” flashbacks show.
There are other characters of course, and more episodes. I’m sure this list will grow.